By-Laws of Big Country Home Educators, Inc.
II. Statement of Faith
*The BCHE leadership serves as both a working and a managerial board.
2. All couples on the Board shall consist of a married couple (one naturally born male and one naturally born female), who have been home educating as active members of BCHE for at least two years, are participating members of a local Christian congregation, and are in agreement with the BCHE Statement of Faith.
3. Board members will be elected to the Board in staggered two-year terms. No more than two-thirds of Board positions will be up for election in any given year. Board terms begin June 1 and end May 31, two years later. Candidates must file for office by submitting their names to the Board by April 1. Nominations of qualified couples will also be accepted until April 1.
Membership will be notified of names of qualifying, willing candidates to be voted on in May. Members will have 14 days to vote by the method designated by the Board. The new Board will be announced by the end of May.
6. Other Committees and Subsidiary Organizations . The Board may create and appoint members to such other committees and subsidiary organizations as they deem appropriate. Such committees and organizations shall have the power and duties designated by the Board and shall have all financial operations reviewed and approved quarterly.
7. The Board reserves the right to suspend or terminate a member from BCHE, for good cause after proper notification and hearing before the Board in a special called meeting. Good cause may include, but is not limited to:
The Board may exercise these rights with a 2/3 majority vote of the Board upon which, in the case of termination, all membership rights and privileges will cease and all property of BCHE returned. Such termination shall not relieve a member of unpaid dues or other charges previously accrued.
B. Members’ Responsibility
4. Members wanting to advertise goods and services to the membership at large must have approval by the Board and such advertisements will be monitored for content and frequency.
6. Members may resign by filing a written resignation with the secretary. Resignation shall not relieve a member of unpaid dues or other charges previously accrued.
Big Country Home Educators shall have the full power to indemnify and advance or reimburse expenses pursuant to the provisions of the Texas Business Organizations Code to any person entitled to indemnification under the provisions of the Texas Business Organizations Code.
Big Country Home Educators (the "Organization") may purchase and maintain insurance or another arrangement on behalf of any person who is or was a member, director, officer, employee, or agent of the Organization or who is or was serving at the request of the Organization as a director, officer, partner, venturer, proprietor, trustee, employee, agent, or similar functionary of another foreign or domestic organization, employee benefit plan, other enterprise, or other entity, against any liability asserted against him or her and incurred by him or her in such a capacity or arising out of his or her status as such a person, whether or not the Organization would have the power to indemnify him or her against that liability. Without limiting the power of the Organization to procure or maintain any kind of insurance or other arrangement, the Organization may, for the benefit of persons indemnified by the Organization, (1) create a trust fund; (2) establish any form of self insurance; (3) secure its indemnity obligation by grant of a security interest or other lien on the assets of the Organization; or (4) establish a letter of credit, guaranty, or surety arrangement. The insurance or other arrangement may be procured, maintained, or established within the Organization or with any insurer or other person deemed appropriate by the Board regardless of whether all or part of the stock or other securities of the insurer or other person are owned in whole or part by the Organization. In the absence of fraud, the judgment of the Board as to the terms and conditions of the insurance or other arrangement and the identity of the insurer or other person participating in an arrangement shall be conclusive and the insurance or arrangement shall not be voidable and shall not subject the Board members approving the insurance or arrangement to liability, on any ground, regardless of whether directors participating in the approval are beneficiaries of the insurance or arrangement.